So, while giving your Beagle berries, melon and other fruits can be healthy additions to his diet, you will want to stay clear of the following fruits which are considered toxic:
- Many sources list this as a toxin to canines; however that is a bit misleading. It contains a compound called persin, which is
toxic to other animals including birds and cattle. However, it is not poisonous to dogs. Despite this, it is listed as an unsafe food on many sites. Technically, your Beagle could ingest avocado and will be just fine. However, with this said, the shape and size of this fruit could present a choking hazard. Since there are many other good choices, we'd suggest avoiding avocado; however there is no reason to panic if your Beagle eats some.
- Current berries, which are a popular ingredient for jams and jellies are moderately to severely toxic. Ingestion of either the black or red berries (or products made with these) can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and for some dogs, severe acute renal failure. It should be noted, that with current berries (and grapes and raisins) reaction is not dose-dependent. A dog could eat 6 and be fine but then eat 2 the next week and have a severe reaction.